Friday, July 10, 2009

Luck

A little background.

I started playing Wow in January shortly after the game's 1 year anniversary after getting bored with CoH/CoV. I tried out the 10 day free trial and was hooked very quickly and soon Wichita started playing with me. Now, as anyone who played back in the Classic Wow era, gold was not easily had, so in order to be able to purchase your mount at 40 you had to be careful with what gold you had. On top of that, Wich and I were extremely noobish and especially early on had little idea how the game worked. I would vendor all unnecessary greens and rarely purchased anything, especially not bags.

In this light, we had a little test. If a bag dropped for our characters in the first few levels, this was a good sign and the character was a keeper. If not, we should reroll. Therefore, any characters that I have that are from my early days would have all passed the luck test. Sonar is currently the oldest chracter that I have that I still play, transferred from Haomarush to AoS at level 35 and occasionally levelled and finally up to max level recently. Sonar would definitely be the only character I have on AoS that would have passed the bag test.

Now to the point. I mentioned the test because my current main Taxiderm would have failed miserably. I think she would have actually lost a bag somehow. Very infrequent drops and when they do I am almost guaranteed to lose the roll if I have competition. I really noticed when I started levelling Sonar again mostly because she is really lucky. Tons of green drops while levelling, quite a few blue drops (15+ from Level 60-80) and in the few instances she has run, good gear has dropped and cleaning up on the greed rolls. Last night in Heroic UP I started feeling bad because of how many rolls I was winning.

In some RPG's I have played there is a primary character stat called Luck that influences rolls for combat and feats and stuff. So I have to ask, is there maybe a hidden stat in Wow that influences loot rolls and drops and stuff ? I doubt it, but looking at the extreme difference between Taxiderm & Sonar I start to wonder.

As for Sonar's activities, last night I finished all but the last quest in the epic flight form questline and as soon as I get enough Lower City rep to get the Heroic key I will be able to run Heroic Sethhek for the Raven mount. I need about 450 more gold for dual-spec which I probably won't use at all till much later but still good to get out of the way. I got an epic belt in Heroic UK last night and I won the roll on a BOE Physical DPS cloak in Ulduar, so Sonar got that.

It figures as soon as I think "that would be good for Sonar", Taxiderm finally wins a roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment